Let them inherit this fire now, Lest they will forget that we were ever here

Good morning.

Today I'm bringing you greens to raise awareness of  National Depression Screening Day.
Depression screening and treatment is something very near and dear to my heart. My husband suffers from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and his sister suffered from major depressive disorder.

In July 2005, my sister-in-law, J, took her own life. She had sought some treatment for her depression and had taken anti-depressants for a time. However, her mind was simply made up. One devastating act has had repercussions we still feel today.

I share this because depression does not have to end like this. And it is more important now than ever given the recent exposure of LGBT teens who have committed suicide. LGBT youth are at the highest risk of attempting suicide. In my home state of Oregon, suicide is the 11th leading cause of death.
As a survivor of suicide, I can tell you how devastating it is for families and loved ones left behind. It is why I am so passionate about early screening and treatment. There is help and there is hope.


Orly Green With Envy

Sally Hansen Honeydew

L.A. Splash Ocean's Fairy

Lambchop Original Franken, Bermuda

Orly Wandering Vine

Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Going Green

 China Glaze Four Leaf Clover

Color Club Twiggie

Zoya Envy

This was really hard for me to write. I'm fairly open about my life but this was so personal and still so painful. But I felt it important. I hope you will also be inspired to reach out to anyone you might know who is battling depression and give them support. 

Before I go, I'd like to share some links to resources that may be of help.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline  - A great resource that can help point you to local resources to help anyone who may be suicidal.

National Institute of Mental Health Depression Page - Full of information about symptoms and treatment with links to local services

The Trevor Project - Dedicated to helping at risk LGBT youth.

Thank you for coming by and taking the time to read this. I hope you will all be well. Much love.

2 Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for posting this. Hopefully the more people talk about depression the less of a stigma it will be and increase the likelihood of people seeking treatment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! I deeply appreciate each comment and I do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Back to Top