Doctor, Doctor

Good day.

Today I am continuing my music series and bringing a much under appreciated band.
The song for today is Doctor, Doctor by UFO. Specifically, I'm sharing a live version by the Michael Schenker Group that includes guest vocals by Klaus Meine of Scorpions. This is probably the best known UFO song around and it's no wonder.

Let's dispense with some background:

UFO were formed in the late 60's in England and were typical early hard rock of the time. It wasn't until 1973 that their music headed to the classically heavy metal sound when Michael Schenker joined the band.Their first album with Schenker, Phenomenon,  became an instant classic and featured Doctor, Doctor. UFO has come and gone many times over the years, with and without the notoriously difficult Schenker but they cemented themselves as a terrifically talented and influential metal band. They are a must for any metal fan's collection.

This is a song that typically makes me swoon. Catchy guitar riffs and a galloping rhythm get me every time. However, the opening solo is so beautiful and almost fragile. It sounds like the start of a typical power ballad until the riffs come hard. Apparently, 1983 was a very good year for classic live performances..

Please enjoy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlcGdbZPxzU&fmt=22
EDIT: Unable to embed, however link is up and working! Fast forward the 2:05 mark since the video starts again.

2 Comments

  1. Thank You!

    Actually, you left me with tears in my eyes.
    The MAGICAL eighties, with guys in lycra jeans and hair on chest and in arm pits, and they knew how to play the guitar!!
    I'M SWOONING! :-)

    (the PolishPig who was there in the eighties)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it!
    It's one of my top favorites. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by! I deeply appreciate each comment and I do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Back to Top