Wedding bell blues


Good morning!

Today I'm showing some of the nail art ideas I came up with for my soon to be sister-in-law for her wedding day. Right after they got engaged, I demanded that she let me do her nails for the wedding. I had no clue that I would end up being the officiant! (But I do relish being Reverend Mighty Lambchop.)

She's already picked the design she wants and I look forward to sharing it with you once it's done. However, that's not for a few weeks! You'll just have to wait.

My brother and his bride to be both love antiquing, retro home decor, pretty much anything from the 1940s and 50s. So, she's going to be wearing a dress she made from a vintage 1950s pattern. We talked about things she might like and I made suggestions and then decided to just go home and create design for her to actually see.



She did mention that she might like a French manicure with jewels. Admittedly, I wasn't really feeling it so I suggested an accent nail. She has this amazing iridescent orange fabric that went into the vest my brother will wear and it's also being incorporated into her dress. That inspired me to suggest a duochrome in the same shade for the accent. Above is CQ Rustic Dream. I knew it was a perfect match and I was not wrong!
The jewels are from a nail art kit I got at Dollar Tree. My traditional French nails are Essence Better Than Gel Nails base sealer in Soft Rose and Orly Dayglow on the tips.


This is a funky French with Rustic Dream on the tips layered over Orly Dayglow. The dots are Orly Glam Rock. Base is two coats of Essence Better Than Gel Nails base sealer in Soft Rose.


I offered this half moon manicure since her dress is retro and seemed a good idea for the overall vintage theme. Instead of using one coat of shimmery white as a base, I used two. It is is Orly Au Champagne.
I chose a classic red just to give her an idea of what the classic half moon is. This is Essie Lollipop and nope, I did not apply it super well. I was in a rush. One that I will not be in when it's time to do her nails.


I decided to add some contemporary touches and included this glitter gradient. It's a base of three coats Orly Au Champagne. I used Wet n' Wild Confections of a Bake-aholic and Chip On Your Shoulder for the gradient. They're both from the Toppings Collection and I will have swatches coming very soon.



I offered the option of stamped nail art as well. I used my Salon Express plate and a Fingrs plate for this look. The base is surprise, surprise, Orly Au Champagne. I used Orly Pink Chocolate to stamp with and I topped the whole thing off with Cutie Girl Delicate Peach. I only added design to all nails just to illustrate what can be done. I was not advocating for this look.


This was my favorite. It's sweet, cute and pretty. Plus I liked the idea of brides having their nails painted for the "something blue." This is a base of China Glaze For Audrey. I chose it because it's gorgeous and one of my very favorites. But also because it does evoke some cool retro imagery. Audrey Hepburn, the classic Tiffany box...and so on. I used *gasp* Orly Au Champagne for the clouds. I didn't want a stark white for the clouds and the shimmery quality was perfect. 

Finally, I decided to go pink. It seemed like a good color for a Spring wedding.

I do not like this photo.

This manicure was so pretty but it didn't last long. I had formula compatibility issues and it ended up a gummy mess.

The base is two coats of Sinful Colors Bare. It's a really pretty color but it applies terribly and streaky. I waited 10 minutes between each coat. Once they were fully dry, I sponged a third coat on to get best opacity and remove the streaks. I really dug into my stash and pulled out Ulta Belle of the Ball. It's a pretty pink foil that you can read all about here. I sponged it on and once dry, I topped everything off with Revlon Sweet Nothings in Nude Nightie. I knew the pink shimmer was going to look amazing over this. And it did. For about fifteen minutes. Clearly, these three did not get along formula wise and it went downhill from there.
I blame the Revlon because it is old and needs to be thinned out.

So there ya have it. Plenty of wedding manicure ideas. As I mentioned, a design and colors have been picked. I'm so excited to do her nails and I look forward to sharing it with you all soon!

Leave reply

Thank you for coming by! I deeply appreciate each comment and I do my best to respond in a timely fashion.

Back to Top